“Colfax was its own Municipality that incorporated in 1891 and had a population of about 300.In 1897 Colfax was annexed to Denver.
Colfax Avenue was originally named “Golden Avenue,” and was renamed in 1896 for Schuyler Colfax, who had been U.S. Vice President. West Colfax Avenue was the main street of the Town of Colfax.
In the early 1900s the area that is now known as West Colfax was sparsely populated with several mansions and scattered squatter’s shacks. During this time West Colfax was known as “No Man’s Land”, and ” Jim’s Town”.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries a large wave of Jewish Immigrants from Eastern Europe moved into the West Colfax area. These immigrants turned “No Man’s Land” into Denver’s version of a European neighborhood.”