Denver Neighborhoods – Sloans Lake

“The true history of the creation of Sloan’s Lake may never be officially known, but during the settlement of the Denver area in the mid to late 19th century, the lake did not exist. A road connecting Denver and the western suburb of Golden crossed through where Sloan’s Lake is now. A homesteader named Thomas F. Sloan received a patent for the land from US President Andrew Johnson in December 1866. He used the land for agricultural purposes, farming and raising cattle. A commonly accepted legend states that Sloan dug a well on the land, inadvertently tapping into an underground aquifer, and that when he awoke the next morning, part of his farm land was covered in water. This flooded what was known as South Golden Road, and eventually Colfax Avenue would become the major east-west thoroughfare in this part of the city. The lake once exceeded 200 acres  and extended north and west beyond its current size, but portions were filled north of 25th Avenue and west of Sheridan Boulevard.”

–Wikipedia

Sloans Lake

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 − four =