“Lawrence Phipps, Ira and Albert Humphreys, and Lafayette Hughes and purchased 160 acres of property for $62,000.00 and incorporated the new Polo Club. Architects Fischer & Fischer was hired to build the clubhouse at 5 Polo Club Road. Stables were built on the south west corner of Alameda Avenue and Steele Street.
Two of the initial investors built their own gracious residences in and around the area. The Phipps mansion was built at 3400 Belcaro Drive, Lafayette Hughes built his family home at 2755 E. Exposition Avenue.
Polo was regularly played on the grounds three times per week throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s. By 1936, the decline of the game’s popularity coupled with the Depression causing a decrease in affluent members caused the play to discontinue. The Polo Club officially closed by December of 1941.”