“Founded in 1858 to be a dry town because its citizens didn’t like the saloons that had taken over Denver.
By the 1920’s, the future Cory-Merrill neighborhood had been annexed by Denver.
It was dotted with farms, orchards and cattle. Area kids caught snakes in an area called The Swamp (now
Interstate-25). In the late 1940s, Mr. Armstrong (who lived on Steele Street) donated his farm land
to Denver Public Schools to replace the aging Coronado School. The school district built Cory Elementary
(left) and Merrill Junior High (right) – named after John J. Cory and Louise A. Merrill, two inﬂuential Denver educators.”