“In 1896 the City of Highlands was annexed, and thereafter was known as “North Denver.” As the city grew larger and the name “North Denver” started to encompass a larger area the new neighborhood was renamed Jefferson Park, from the 6.7-acre (27,000 m2) park located on West 23rd Avenue and Clay Street in the heart of the neighborhood. The park was part of an undeveloped portion of Crane’s Addition to the Town of Highlands before annexation, and became part of the Highland Division of the City of Denver Parks, landscaped in the early 20th century and then named after the father of the Democratic Party, Thomas Jefferson.
Highlands was made up of 35 subdivisions with the street names, directions and lot sizes not conforming to the Denver norm. As a general rule, building was permitted on 25-foot (7.6 m) lots, and some builders would put up a row of small gothic cottages, built very close together, and surrounded by acres of vacant lots. Any block, in Jefferson Park today, may have houses representing the architecture of the 1890s, the 1910s, 1920s and ’40s, and 50s. After the building boom that occurred following the end of World War II, there was very little vacant property left in North Denver.”