“In 1887, Baron Alois von Winckler platted the original Park Hill development on 32 acres (130,000 m2) of land he owned east ofCity Park. This development was bordered by present day Montview Boulevard on the south, Colorado Boulevard on the west, East 26th Avenue on the north, and Dahlia Street on the east, placing it in what is now the western portion of South Park Hill.
In 1898, in response to the Spanish-American War, Baron von Winckler allowed land directly north of the original development to be used as a camp for the Colorado National Guard. It housed 1,400 troops in tents. Shortly after this, the Baron committed suicide, reportedly after seeing the troops leave for the Philippines.
The first homes in Park Hill were offered for sale in 1900. As the neighborhood grew, settlers from many nations, including England, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, and Italy, moved in, as did African Americans. After World War II, residential development increased in the northern part of the neighborhood.”